About these ads

5 spot, Hughes and short handed pen beat Rays

I’ll spare you the recap; I’m just going to assume you watched, listened or followed the game – here’s the box score and the Game Day. Here’s what bugged me about last night’s Yankees vs Rays contest:

Phil Hughes came out to pitch the seventh inning despite being over 100 pitches. I know the Yankees bullpen was short handed last night, but Hughes is on an innings limit to protect his arm – it seems contrary to skip him a time or two in the rotation and then leave him out there last night, but what do I know. I would also think that, since Javier Vazquez was one of the few available relievers last night, he would be better suited to starting the inning rather than coming in with a runner on base, which he allowed to score.

Joe Girardi continues to manage in such a way that protects his team for the playoffs. Sure, he’d like to win every game, but he didn’t run Mariano Rivera out there last night, and that tells you all you need to know.

Lance Berkman was interviewed by Susan Waldmen after the game; he said something to the effect of games in the National League being over when the home team puts up a five spot in the first inning. He also mentioned that the two and a half hour game just didn’t happen in the American League because the offenses are too good, and he’s right – Tampa had 8 hits and 2 walks, so they were no strangers to the base paths last night. Berkman also mentioned that since the games were longer, his eating schedule wasn’t what it used to be, and by the end of the game, he’d worked up quite the appetite. I guess his body’s clock hasn’t adjusted to being a Yankee yet.

Derek Jeter had two hits last night and his average has ticked up to .265. It’s too late for him to reach his usual numbers, but it doesn’t matter. I think he’ll hit in the post season and the Yankees will resign him for something like 4 or 5 years at $20+ million per year, so it’s Jeter’s 2010 campaign discussion is purely academic.

The Yankees are at 92 wins. I picked them to win 100 games this year and with 11 games left, I’m not sure I can pick them to go 8-3 against Tampa Bay, Boston and Toronto. Oh and those Blue Jay games are AT THE ROGERS CENTRE. BOOOOOOOO.

Also, the NY Times post another article about the George Steinbrenner monument, just as I did. They’ve actually interviewed folks, and most people seem to agree that it’s just too big. To have your say, vote your mind here.

Tonight we’ll see AJ Burnett face off against Wade Davis. Which AJ will show up is anybody’s guess.

Posted on September 22, 2010, in 2010 Season and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.

  1. Great blog you got over here! The Yankees vs. Rays series is one of the biggest of the year with one of the best pitching matchups in the final game of the series. It could be the deciding factor of who wins the AL east, but for me I could care less at this point. The thing is that both teams are going to get into the playoffs no matter what, and I think the MLB has to do something about this. Make things more competitive etc. Also, you think you could check out my blog cuz I really wanna hear what you have to say. http://chrisross91.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/somethings-gotta-give/