About these ads

Giants lose to Eagles, faith in penal system shaken

The Giants played another week of sloppy football against an opponent that gave them several chances to win, but they couldn’t get it done. The Eli Manning fumble was especially pathetic. Can somebody teach a brotha to slide?

I wish I had it in me to stick to sports today, but I can’t. I just can’t believe Michael Vick is still in the NFL. I understand Michael Vick has served his time in jail and is now free to move on with is life. That’s fine, but does the NFL really need to employ convicted felons? I almost feel like the Eagles are trying to buy me off with the wind and solar power they’re installing at Lincoln Financial Field.

Lets take a look at the Michael Vick wrap sheet and other misadventures:

  • In 2004, two guys driving a van registered to Vick were arrested for distributing marijuana.
  • Later in 2004, a security screener had his watch stolen by two of Vicks employees.
  • This 2005 civil lawsuit is my favorite: a woman said she contracted genital herpes from Vick, who new he had the disease and didn’t inform her. Apparently, he was getting treated for the disease under the alias “Ron Mexico.” Many fans bought custom jerseys from NFL.com with Vick’s number 7 and the name “MEXICO” on the back. The NFL has since banned customizing jerseys with the name Mexico. You just can’t make that kinda shiz up!
  • Then there was that time Vick gave fans the finger. Both of them.
  • In 2007, Vick surrendered a water bottle to security officials at an airport… it had a secret compartment in it, that’s why they were so interested in it. Security said they didn’t find anything illegal, and Vick said it was for hiding jewelry, but lets be real here… who would hide jewelry inside a water bottle? Let’s go with… nobody. I’m not saying he had some nefarious purpose with this bottle, but come one… that’s for smuggling recreational drugs from one place to another; probably only enough for one or two people, but never the less. If you wanted to hide jewelry for a plane ride, you’d place the item in a travel jewelry box and pack the jewelry box in a carry on bag. Or you could wear it. Is Vick a jewelry salesman? He travels with so much jewelry that he can’t wear it all at the same time?
  • Oh right, the dog fighting… convicted of a felony for dog fighting, traveling across state lines (that’s why it was a federal crime and he went to Leavenworth), and he electrocuted, hung, drowned and beat dogs to death, or ordered it. And while he was on bale, he failed a drug test.
  • Last January, he was accused of using steroids while he was with the Falcons. He denied it, and it seems to have gone away for a while

You’ll have to forgive me; I’m used to blogging about baseball, where the concerns are all about who cheated; most of the players seem to be good guys. In 2007, 21% of NFL players had arrest records. So stay classy, NFL. Stay classy.

I love me some New York Giants. They’ve had their problems on the field and their players are far from perfect, but none of them have ever disgusted me the way Vick has. My proudest moment is when (like the Jets) they said they would not have Vick on their team. They didn’t have to do that, but they did. That’s because the Giants know there is a line. They may raise ticket prices and charge $9 for one beer, but even glutenous businessmen will only go so far.

Unless you’re the Eagles. I guess only the sky is the limit.

PS: VICK IS NOT THE ONLY FELON IN THE NFL
For example, Donte Stallworth served 30 days in jail for manslaughter after killing a 59 year old man by hitting him with his car. Stallworth was drunk. He’s back now and has played in the last three games so far this year.

Posted on November 22, 2010, in NY Giants and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.