About these ads

Speculating on the Yankees 25 Man Roster for the 2011 Season

andy pettitteIt’s only January, so there is still time for the Yankees and Brian Cashman to make some improvements here, but the Yankees 25 Man Roster is looking a bit short as of now.  Maybe we’ll find Andy Pettitte under the Christian Orthodox Christmas Tree…  one can only hope!

For now, here’s my projected Yankees 25 Man Roster for the 2011 Season.

Day to Day Lineup:
1) Mark Teixeira – 1B
2) Robinson Cano – 2B
3) Alex Rodriguez – 3B
4) Derek Jeter – SS
5) Russell Martin – C
6) Brett Gardner – LF
7) Curtis Granderson – CF
8 ) Nick Swisher – RF
9) Jorge Posada – DH

Starting Rotation:

10) CC Sabathia – LHP
11) Phil Hughes – RHP
12) A.J. Burnett – RHP
13) Sergio Mitre – RHP
14) Ivan Nova – RHP

Bench
15) Ramiro Pena – IF
16) Francisco Cervelli – C
17) Eduardo Nunez – IF
18) Greg Golson – OF
19) Kevin Russo Andruw Jones – OF

Bullpen

20) Boone Logan – LHP
21) Pedro Feliciano – LHP
22) Mariano Rivera – RHP
23) Joba Chamberlain – RHP
24) Dave Robertson – RHP
25) Romulo Sanchez Rafael Soriano – RHP

I’m assuming Damaso Marte will not be available due to injury at the opening of 2011 because… well, the guy is always hurt.  I threw Kevin Russo and Greg Golson on the bench because…  well, you might as well put somebody in those two empty roster spots, right?  the same goes for Romulo Sanchez (and he’s out of options, so if he’s not with the big league club, the Yankees will probably loose him to waivers), who I guess I’m envisioning as the long man out of the pen.

On a whole, the roster is very similar to that which the Yankees opened the 2010 season with – the biggest glaring omission is the absence of Andy Pettitte.  I’m still hoping against hope that he comes back – I see him as the fifth starter in name only – or at least that they just shouldn’t use him in April as the team will rarely need five starters in the first month of the season – I think this could keep Pettitte healthy and fresh for the stretch, but what do I know.

Well, that’s the way I see the Yankees 25 man roster if we had to go to war today – thankfully, we don’t – and hopefully, Cashman will come up with something to solidify the bench and the rotation.

Also, check out a great post from An A-Blog For A-Rod.

Posted on January 5, 2011, in Off-Season and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.