About these ads

Monthly Archives: December 2011

Upgrading the Yankees Starting Pitching Rotation: Trade, 1 Year Deal or Bust

Now that the big non-trade pitchers are off the board, the Yankees options for upgrading their starting pitching rotation are narrowing – but I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing.

I don’t know if I necessarily want (wanted) any of the big names available – Yu Darvish might be great, he might be average, he might be below average and he might be Kei Igawa. It’s probably not going to take CC Sabathia money for the Rangers to sign him, but it is a lot to spend on someone that’s not a known MLB star. As for CJ Wilson… I know he’s had good numbers, but his track record is short and as the Rangers let him go and then bid $50 million to negotiate with Darvish… this makes me think the Angels may come to regret signing Wilson. (I.E., what do the Rangers know that everyone else doesn’t know? I bet we find out in 2013 or sooner.) Sure, it might have been nice to have Mark Buehrle, but he got a ton of money, and he seems like the kind of starting pitcher the Yankees give a 4 year deal to and then everyone connected immediately regrets it – Buehrle’s age, contract length and amount prohibited the Yankees from making a move here.

Maybe the Yankees will make a trade. The Yankees are always linked whenever anyone says Gio Gonzalez, but I’d expect Money Baller Billy Beane to ask for the sun, the moon and the stars – meaning Jesus Montero, Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances, and that’s not going to happen… oops, Gonzalez has just been traded to the Nationals for a four player hall. Scratch him off the list! And John Danks already signed an extension with the White Sox, so trade options are evaporating.

At this point, I’d look to see the Yankees kick the tires on Roy Oswalt (although they might be afraid of his bad back) and Hiroki Kuroda as both of these pitchers will reportedly accept 1 year deals. Like last year, I think this is what the Yankees want – inexpensive veterans on cheap 1 year deals.

I think Yankees GM Brian Cash-Money is waiting to make a bigger acquisition next year. In the mean time, maybe they’ll grab somebody on a 1 year deal, make a trade, or stand pat and go with their prospects.