About these ads

Release or Trade Garcia, Keep Eppley

After two sweeps in a row, the Yankees get a much deserved off day (especially for their bullpen) before they start a series in Washington DC against the Nationals. And speaking of the bullpen, David Robertson is going to make his return to the 25 man roster on Friday, which means somebody has to go. I nominate Freddy Garcia.

If you watched last night’s game, you saw Cody Eppley dig down deep in a tough situation, get ground balls and never give in with a fastball over the middle of the plate. His numbers aren’t gaudy, but he got the job done. Nevertheless, Eppley is perceived as the lowest man on the Yankees bullpen totem pole, but I don’t agree – Garcia isn’t nearly as valuable than Eppley, who has proven he can come into games and get big outs. Garcia is nothing more than a garbage time long man who soaks up innings when the Yankees are either so far ahead the don’t think he can screw it up or so far behind that they don’t care what happens. A pitcher like that doesn’t provide much value.

My hope is that before Robertson is activated, Garcia is either traded or given his release so Eppley can hang around. It’d be nice to have a long man, but I don’t see a point in keeping someone around who’s only job is to mop up a big mess.

Posted on June 14, 2012, in 2012 Season and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

  1. Agreed 100%. And part of it is my dislike for Garcia, but Eppley has earned his spot in the ‘pen, and with the way Joe has been using/not using David Phelps, he could slide into the long man role easily and be more valuable in it as somebody who can pitch in close situations or mop-up duty. Maybe not the best use of Phelps, but still a better overall bullpen staff.