About these ads

Monthly Archives: August 2012

Joe Girardi: This is how your platoon splits work

I don’t get why Joe Girardi isn’t using his  platoon splits to their fullest advantage.  Sure, he pitch hit Casey McGehee for Eric Chavez last night, and that’s great, but there were so many other moves he could have made that would have given the Yankees a better chance to win yesterday’s game that it’s silly.  In case he left his match up binder in the Bronx, I thought I’d refresh Joe Girardi on the roles of his players as after last night, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t know.

Cody Eppley
only faces right handed batters

Boone Logan
only faces left handed batters

Clay Rapada
only faces left handed batters

Raul Ibanez
only faces right handed pitchers

Andruw Jones
only faces left handed pitchers

You got that, Joe?  Stop screwing around and letting Boone Logan face right handed batters or letting Raul Ibanez face left handed pitchers when you’ve got players in your bullpen and on your bench who can help you out.

About these ads

Can you buy a championship?

Well, yeah… if you know what you’re doing.  But as of Aug 16, when comparing wins with money spent, it looks like most teams are coming up short when it comes to return on investment.  Check out these four teams that are all in the top 20 for 2012 salaries but have records under .500:

Philadelphia Phillies
Boston Red Sox
Miami Marlins
Milwaukee Brewers

These clubs are not exactly getting bang for their buck.  The Phillies and the Brewers are separated by nearly $77 million (or as we Yankee fans say, two and a half A-Rods) in payroll, yet the Phillies are only two wins better than the Brewers.  Go figure.

As for folks who are squeezing every last bit out of each penny, it’s all about the following three clubs:

Pittsburgh Pirates
Tampa Bay Rays
Oakland Athletics

These clubs are all under $75 million in total salary and they’re both scratching at the playoffs and sporting records over .500.  As Darth Vader would say, that is impressive – most impressive!

Here’s the money spent/wins tables, sorted for your convenience:

sorted by total payroll as of Aug 16, 2012
# TEAM TOTAL PAYROLL Wins Losses
1 New York Yankees $197,962,289 70 47
2 Philadelphia Phillies $174,538,938 54 63
3 Boston Red Sox $173,186,617 57 61
4 Los Angeles Angels $154,485,166 62 56
5 Detroit Tigers $132,300,000 63 55
6 Texas Rangers $120,510,974 67 49
7 Miami Marlins $118,078,000 53 65
8 San Francisco Giants $117,620,683 64 54
9 St. Louis Cardinals $110,300,862 64 53
10 Milwaukee Brewers $97,653,944 52 64
11 Chicago White Sox $96,919,500 64 52
12 Los Angeles Dodgers $95,143,575 65 53
13 Minnesota Twins $94,085,000 50 67
14 New York Mets $93,353,983 55 62
15 Chicago Cubs $88,197,033 46 70
16 Atlanta Braves $83,309,942 68 49
17 Cincinnati Reds $82,203,616 71 46
18 Seattle Mariners $81,978,100 55 64
19 Baltimore Orioles $81,428,999 64 53
20 Washington Nationals $81,336,143 73 45
21 Cleveland Indians $78,430,300 54 64
22 Colorado Rockies $78,069,571 44 71
23 Toronto Blue Jays $75,489,200 55 62
24 Arizona Diamondbacks $74,284,833 58 59
25 Tampa Bay Rays $64,173,500 63 54
26 Pittsburgh Pirates $63,431,999 64 53
27 Kansas City Royals $60,916,225 51 65
28 Houston Astros $60,651,000 39 80
29 Oakland Athletics $55,372,500 61 55
30 San Diego Padres $55,244,700 52 67
sorted by wins
# TEAM TOTAL PAYROLL Wins Losses
1 Washington Nationals $81,336,143 73 45
2 Cincinnati Reds $82,203,616 71 46
3 New York Yankees $197,962,289 70 47
4 Atlanta Braves $83,309,942 68 49
5 Texas Rangers $120,510,974 67 49
6 Los Angeles Dodgers $95,143,575 65 53
7 San Francisco Giants $117,620,683 64 54
8 St. Louis Cardinals $110,300,862 64 53
9 Chicago White Sox $96,919,500 64 52
10 Baltimore Orioles $81,428,999 64 53
11 Pittsburgh Pirates $63,431,999 64 53
12 Detroit Tigers $132,300,000 63 55
13 Tampa Bay Rays $64,173,500 63 54
14 Los Angeles Angels $154,485,166 62 56
15 Oakland Athletics $55,372,500 61 55
16 Arizona Diamondbacks $74,284,833 58 59
17 Boston Red Sox $173,186,617 57 61
18 New York Mets $93,353,983 55 62
19 Seattle Mariners $81,978,100 55 64
20 Toronto Blue Jays $75,489,200 55 62
21 Philadelphia Phillies $174,538,938 54 63
22 Cleveland Indians $78,430,300 54 64
23 Miami Marlins $118,078,000 53 65
24 Milwaukee Brewers $97,653,944 52 64
25 San Diego Padres $55,244,700 52 67
26 Kansas City Royals $60,916,225 51 65
27 Minnesota Twins $94,085,000 50 67
28 Chicago Cubs $88,197,033 46 70
29 Colorado Rockies $78,069,571 44 71
30 Houston Astros $60,651,000 39 80

The Melk Man Always Juices Twice

image

Err…

As you already know, former Yankee, Brave, Royal and current Giant Melky Cabrera was suspended for PED use.  This makes sense in hindsite – his career was in the crapper and then suddenly he’s an all star?  There’s having a breakout season, and then there’s coming back from the dead, and frankly, I’m not sure Melky was ever alive in the first place…

Oh well.  Hopefully, he’ll find a way to get through this, but I’m always shocked people think they can still get away with this shit.

Will the extra wild card water down post season teams?

This new one game play-in to get to the post season as the official wild card team has now placed a premium on the division title that there hasn’t really been before. Still, despite their injuries, the Yankees look primed to run away and hide with the AL East title and leave everyone fighting for scraps as they continue to plod along into August with their 6.5 game lead over the surprisingly +.500 Baltimore Orioles. So unless something happens between now and the end of the season, the wild card will keep more teams in the hunt longer (and really, just avoiding the inevitable), but perhaps has also altered the trade market in ways that we should have seen coming.

The wild card standings are tight. As of today:

  1. Detriot and Oakland tied
  2. Angels .5 games back
  3. Baltimore 1 game back
  4. Tampa Bay 2 games back
  5. Boston 4.5 games back
  6. Toronto 5 games back

and so on. And I think it’s worth mentioning that the shockingly bad Boston Red Sox as well as the Jose Bautista-less Toronto Blue Jays are both under .500, so it’s tough for me to consider them viable playoff teams. Still, with 2 months to play and about 4 games back, why would the Red Sox want to be sellers at the trade deadline? Crazier things have happened, and they have the talent to make a serious run. I don’t think they will, but who knows. It’s easy for a club to have that attitude, and ultimately, this second wild card has turned sellers to buyers and brought in these other so called contenders who will stand pat, as they’re probably not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to count themselves out.

And that’s what I’m saying – ultimately, with less sellers, the good teams will have a harder time getting better. With a bigger marketplace for sellers to make a trade, they’ll crank up the asking price, and teams won’t pay the outlandish rates, so everybody loses. The crappy teams keep the good player and the good teams go forward with what they have. This wasn’t much of a problem for the Yankees, who don’t have a lot of giant holes, but I’m sure this hurt somebody, somewhere. I believe I read that the Red Sox and Texas Rangers were talking about a blockbuster deal that fell apart because the Red Sox got prospect greedy, and I think that’s going to be the lay of the land going forward. Whether or not this is good for baseball is too early to tell, but I don’t think that keeping false hope alive for a team like the Red Sox does a service to anyone, nor does thinning out the trade market.

It should be noted that the Marlins and the Dodgers did a big deal, and the Yankees did land Ichiro (who is something of a shell of his former self, but still… ICHIRO!)… oh and the Angels got a big pitcher, too…