About these ads

Yankees 2012 Post Season Roster Speculation

We’re only a few days away from exciting Yankee playoff baseball action against either the Rangers or the Orioles! Who will the Yankees take with them on this quest for the World Series? I’m guessing the following:

Roster make up:
10 relievers
4 starters
11 position players

starting:
C Russell Martin
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Robinson Cano
SS Derek Jeter
3B Alex Rodriguez
OF Ichiro Suzuki
OF Curtis Granderson
OF Nick Swisher
DH Raul Ibanez (RHP)/Eduardo Nunez (LHP)

Eduardo Nunez is really my only big move here – the rest is obvious. Nunez is swinging a hot bat and is a good contact hitter in general, and he has decent speed… and is really the only healthy option for backup middle infielder who can hit. But I think he’ll get some DH time against lefties, which should be fun.

bench
IF Eric Chavez
IF Eduardo Nunez
IF Casey McGehee
OF Raul Ibanez
OF Brett Gardner
C Chris Stewart

I had a tough time picking between Andruw Jones and Casey McGehee, but frankly, Jones’ bat has been so cold for so long, I decided to go with a slightly warmer body. It’s not like Jones is especially fast, so can’t pitch run (that’s Gardner’s job), he’d just be a bat off the bench in a line up that doesn’t really need one – particularly one that can’t hit. Anyway, Jones, McGehee, whatever – we’re talking about the 25 man on the roster who probably won’t make it into a game anyway.

starting pitchers
CC Sabathia
Hiroki Kuroda
Andy Pettitte
Phil Hughes

This was a no brainer. Ivan Nova pitched himself out of contention, as did Freddy Garcia. Yankee fans might have their doubts about Hughes, but compared to other fourth starters around the league… I’ll take my chances with Phil and his terrible mustache.

bullpen
Boone Logan – LHP
Clay Rapada – LHP
David Phelps – long, MR
Derek Lowe – long, MR
Joba Chamberlain – 7th
David Robertson – 8th
Rafael Soriano – 9th

I chose Derek Lowe over Cody Epply here because of Lowe’s veteran status (meaning he has huge balls and experience), his ability to go multiple innings and face batters from both sides of the plate. Epply did a great job in 2012 and got many important outs, but I think Lowe makes more sense in the playoffs. Everybody else here is obvious.

Now that we got that out of the way…
Who are you routing for in the American League Wild Card game? I’d rather see the Yankees play the Orioles. I know the Rangers have been on a slide lately, but they have a ton of good players who scare the hell out of me.

Posted on October 5, 2012, in 2012 Season and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.

  1. I’m guessing the Yankees go with one more reliever and once less position player. McGehee likely the odd man out.