About these ads

Category Archives: BomberBanter.com

Yankees: Enough With The Marketing Emails!

I’m not famous for patience when it comes to solicitation, but when a company I trust keeps flooding my inbox with stuff that is unrelated to their business or product, the frustration begins to boil over.

yankees-derek-jeter-marketing-emails

(I blurred out the code a little)

Look at this crap!  Are they serious?  Sending a solicitation to join a fitness club using the Yankees brand and Derek Jeter‘s image to entice me is insulting to my intelligence.  Not to mention the fact that I don’t want or need this – I signed up to get mails from the Yankees about the Yankees, not this horse shiz!  This is ridiculous – it’s embarrassing!  What in the hell were they thinking?!?

It’s not as though they send these mails every day (so ‘flooding’ might have been a bit of an exaggeration), but it’s not the first time, either.     Let’s keep the mails to Yankees or at least MLB related topics, shall we?  That’d be nice!

About these ads

Bomber Banter 2011 Fantasy Baseball Team Roster

As mentioned in my previous Fantasy Baseball post, I’m targeting short stop and catcher this year, and since I have the first pick, that makes that goal a little easier.

I picked the following players for my Yahoo Sports Fantasy Baseball League – the number displayed with a period after it is the order I picked them in and the number in parentheses is the order the player was chosen in the entire draft.  Troy Tulowitzki and Víctor Martínez were my two top picks and I got to pick them one and two, so overall, I’m pretty happy with who I got.  I knew which positions I wanted to target, but I didn’t get a draft guide until a few hours beforehand, so by my third pick, I was already in chaos.

  1. troy_tulowitzki

    First pick of the draft: production out of the short stop!

    (1) Troy Tulowitzki (Col – SS)

  2. (20) Víctor Martinez (Det – C,1B)
  3. (21) Dustin Pedroia (Bos – 2B)
  4. (40) Justin Morneau (Min – 1B)
  5. (41) Cliff Lee (Phi – SP)
  6. (60) Heath Bell (SD – RP)
  7. (61) Tommy Hanson (Atl – SP)
  8. (80) Hunter Pence (Hou – OF)
  9. (81) Jonathan Broxton (LAD – RP)
  10. (100) Jim Thome (Min – Util)
  11. (101) Ty Wigginton (Col – 1B,2B,3B)
  12. (120) Chris Young (Ari – OF)
  13. (121) Alex Rios (CWS – OF)
  14. (140) Ryan Franklin (StL – RP)
  15. (141) Matt Lindstrom (Col – RP)
  16. (160) Andrew Bailey (Oak – RP)
  17. (161) Jered Weaver (LAA – SP)
  18. (180) Luke Scott (Bal – 1B,OF)
  19. (181) Carlos Pena (ChC – 1B)
  20. (200) Adam Lind (Tor – 1B,OF)
  21. (201) Edwin Encarnacion (Tor – 3B)
  22. (220) Mike Aviles (KC – 2B,SS)

Now that you’ve read through my roster of players, there’s one screaming omission:   I don’t have a single New York Yankee on the damn team!  This wasn’t intentional; I specifically wanted CC Sabathia, Robinson Cano, Phil Hughes and Mariano Rivera, but Cano went early and by my fourth pick, all of the really good Yankees were gone and by my sixth pick, nearly the entire starting lineup was gone.

It’s great and it sucks that I don’t have any Yankees on the team; last year, I had CC, Mark Teixeira, Nick Swisher, Jorge Posada… a veritable cornucopia of Yankees, and it kinda interfered with my enjoyment of the game.  I like to represent and have Yankees on the BomberBanter.com Fantasy Baseball Team, but whatever.  I think that by the end of season, this non-Yankee roster will have made the season more fun.

I haven’t decided on who’s going to start in the outfield yet as I have a lot of choices, but the infield is sealed up tight.  Maybe with more preparation,  I could have done a much better job… but there it is.

Yankees Starting Rotation Battle

Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova are still in a battle for a place in the Yankees starting rotation.  From the very little I’ve seen, I’d say that in terms of performance, I’d rank Colon and Nova fairly close (although Nova’s 6 IP of shutout ball was impressive) and rank Garcia last.  Still, I think the Yankees are best served to slot Garcia and Colon as the fourth and fifth starters.  I don’t think anybody knows what the number is, but Nova has an innings limit this year, and even if they skip him a few times, I don’t see a good way to manage that at the major league level.

I like Nova a lot, and I don’t want to see his development retarded in any way.  I don’t think his ceiling is much higher than a number 3 starter, but that’s nothing to sneeze at.  The Yankees will need a number five starter a lot more this April than they have in the last few seasons (or, at least that’s how I remember it), so they won’t really have the luxury of skipping anyone in April much.  Frankly, the Yankees may as well find out what Garcia and Colon have – if a guy can’t get it done, they’ll get released, and that will be that.  On the other hand, if you bring Nova north, you have to manage a developing starter with an innings limit while trying to win a pennant, something I don’t feel the Yankees have excelled at over the last few years.  If Nova does poorly and they have to send him back down, then they’ve just wasted an option on him.  They might as well send him to Scranton-Wilkes Barre (I hate typing that – why can’t they just be the Scranton Yankees?), limit his starts to five innings and not call him up until Colon or Garcia stink or get hurt, because one (or both) of those things will happen at some point this season – I guarantee it.

At this point, you might be asking yourself, “Is he going to mention Sergio Mitre or Manny Banuelos as a rotation candidate or not?”  The answer is not.  Mitre stinks; he’s a serviceable long man/mop up man/emergency starter, but that’s where it ends – and Banuelos is not of legal drinking age.  I know he’s great (I’ve seen him pitch), but he’s never thrown a pitch in AAA.  Banuelos is the real deal – he might be a number 2 or even a number 1 some day – let’s allow him develop and bring him up when he’s ready.  As for Andrew Brackman, I love all six feet eleven inches of that guy (yeah, update your score cards, he grew an inch over the winter), but he’s not ready yet either – he’s also never thrown a pitch in AAA.  I don’t think Brackman will ever be as good as Banuelos, but again, let’s wait till he’s ready before we bring him up – and if you look at his numbers and injury history, he doesn’t need any extra pressure of trying to make the big league roster…  oh sorry, he’s already been sent to minor league camp.  Never mind.

To the Readership:

I really appreciate that so many people have been dropping by the site and I’m sorry there hasn’t been much in the way of posts this month, but frankly, there hasn’t been much to write about.  The Yankees don’t have many question marks this year and the first half of spring training is, for lack of a better phrase, boring as hell.  The starters hardly play, the rotation pitchers only pitch a few innings… I think Mariano Rivera has made one appearance so far this spring… my point is, it’s early.  There’s still an entire season to go, and I don’t want to get burned out.  I also don’t want to write those filler posts that make up the bulk of March content on a lot of other Yankees blogs…  I can only read so many ‘how so-and-so might perform this year before I throw in the towel, you know?  A lot of people have been writing that Derek Jeter, Mark Teixeira and Curtis Granderson will have better seasons this year than they did last year…  brilliant writing!  Anyway, all I really wanted to say was thanks for dropping by and I promise that come April, the posts will be fast and furious!

2010 in review

The stats helper monkeys at WordPress.com mulled over how this blog did in 2010, and here’s a high level summary of its overall blog health:

Healthy blog!

The Blog-Health-o-Meter™ reads This blog is doing awesome!

Crunchy numbers

Featured image

A helper monkey made this abstract painting, inspired by your stats.

A Boeing 747-400 passenger jet can hold 416 passengers. This blog was viewed about 2,500 times in 2010. That’s about 6 full 747s.

In 2010, there were 102 new posts, not bad for the first year! There were 40 pictures uploaded, taking up a total of 37mb. That’s about 3 pictures per month.

The busiest day of the year was October 4th with 50 views. The most popular post that day was Projecting Yankees 25 Man Playoff Roster.

Where did they come from?

The top referring sites in 2010 were mytristate.us, yankeeist.com, creativejamie.com, facebook.com, and search.aol.com.

Some visitors came searching, mostly for yankees, bomberbanter.com, small yankees logo, jody mcdonald, and stadium.

Attractions in 2010

These are the posts and pages that got the most views in 2010.

1

Projecting Yankees 25 Man Playoff Roster September 2010
1 comment

2

Jody McDonald of 1050 ESPN Radio is clearly insane August 2010
2 comments

3

College Football at Yankee Stadium November 2010

4

Do you think the George M. Steinbrenner monument is too big? September 2010
2 comments

moving day is coming soon

I’m beginning the process of moving BomberBanter.com over here to word press from it’s current host. Not sure how long this will take – so for now, check out BomberBanter.com at it’s current home.